Ulaanbaatar – All Best Places to Visit in the City
Everything About Ulaanbaatar
Ulaanbaatar is the current capital of Mongolia. It was established in 1639 as a nomadic Buddhist monastic center. Since then the city had been a center of attraction for different monasteries. Much of the trade and commercial activities were conducted from the city.
In the twentieth century, Ulaanbaatar developed into Mongolia`s major manufacturing epicenter. Now it is a member of the Asian Network of Major Cities 21 that’s why it has commercial, historical and political importance.
It is located on the Tuul River on a wide bleak plateau. So the best time to visit Mongolia to have an adventure in Ulaanbaatar is during the summer season so that you can enjoy water activities here.
Every traveler has a different taste and different definition of enjoyment in Ulaanbaatar. When it comes to the best places to visit in Mongolian city Ulaanbaatar the list is so long. As the city has everything. Art galleries, historical places, natural parks, river-side areas, museums, and whatnot…
To make your Mongolia trip more relishing here are some recommendations of best places sorted into categories.
Visit Mongolian City Ulaanbaatar for Amazing Monuments and other Landmarks
Their monuments and places are recommended for the state of the art architecture and construction or historical importance.
- Gandantegchinlen Monastery with Janraisig statue
- Zaisan Memorial Socialist Monument Complex
- Peace Avenue
- Narantuul or the Black Market
- Sükhbaatar Square and the Mongolian Parliament house
- Aryabal Meditation Center at Gorkhi-Terelj National Park
- The Beatles Monuments
- Residence of Prince Chin Wang Khanddorj
Visit Mongolian City Ulaanbaatar for Ancient Monasteries and their Remains
- Choijin Lama Monastery (Buddhist Monastery)
- Gandan Monastery and statue of Migjid Janraisig
- Four Palaces of Bogd Khan/ Bogd Khan Museum (Summer Palace, Winter Palace, White Palace, and Pandelin Palace
Plan your Trip to Mongolian City Ulaanbataar For Museums
If you have not visited these museums, your Mongolia trip is missing out on its essence and charm.
- Lenin Museum / Dinosaur Museum (dinosaur and prehistoric fossil
- National Museum of Mongolia (cultural and historic products for the Mongol Empire to the present)
- The Zanabazar Museum of Fine Arts ( paintings and sculptures from 17th century)
- The Mongolian Theatre Museum (decades to decades history of Mongolian performing arts)
- The Military Museum of Mongolia's collection (Pre-historic and today`s weaponry and assets)
- Museum of Ulaanbaatar City History and Reformation (by a Buryat-Mongol merchant)
Exclusive Trip to Mongolian city Ulaanbaatar for Primordial Temples
All these ancient temples are not only visited for spiritual purposes but are also popular for their ancient designing and construction, giant-sized well-crafted idols, stunning carving art and much more.
Many tourists in Mongolia claim that they found themselves connected and their visit to these temples resulted in a positive change in their lives. The temples are mentioned in the list with their construction dates.
- Vajradhara Temple (1841)
- Choijin Lama temple (1904-1908)
- West Geser Temple (1919–1920)
The last recommendations for Mongolia travelers are of Holy Trinity Church which was constructed in 1863 and Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral, constructed in 2003 by Cardinal Crescenzio Sepe. Though these are not temples it is loved and credited by most of the tourists in Mongolia.
Arts and Cultural Houses in Ulaanbaatar
Traditional and modern performance art theaters in Ulaanbaatar add life to Mongolia trips. 90% of tourists fell in love with the performances and consider these places simply WOW. The artists performing in theaters and art centers also include a long list of popular international artists and groups from Mongolia.
- Ulaanbaatar Opera House (folk and modern style concerts, musical performances, ballet performances, and opera)
- Mongolian State Grand National Orchestra (the largest orchestra of traditional instruments host national and traditional music performance)
- Tumen Ekh Ensemble (traditional music and dance performances including Morin Khuur, Shaman dance, Tsam mask dance)
- Morin Khuur Ensemble of Mongolia (folk musical instrument display, Morin Khuur and traditional musical performances)
Parks and Protected Areas Under Ulaanbaatar Administration
You can visit Mongolian city Ulaanbaatar for parks and protected areas. Their parks have splendid and untouched natural beauty. Tourists visiting these places can also meet Mongolia wildlife and enjoy hot air balloon flight, hiking, paragliding, etc.
- Gorkhi-Terelj National Park (located at a distance of 70 km from Ulaanbaatar)
- Bogd Khan Mountain (overlooks Ulaanbataar and are 3000 feet high)
- National Culture and Recreation Center (amusement park situated in the south section of Shangri-La Hotel)
- Artificial Lake Castle (connected to National Culture and Recreation Center)
- National Park of Mongolia (summer park in southeastern outskirts)
Sports Venue in Ulaanbataar
National Sports Stadium is the best place for sports enthusiasts. The best time to visit Mongolia for sports-related enjoyment is during the Naadam festival. The festival is held every July (11th July to 15th July 2020).
Visit Mongolian City Ulaanbaatar for Educational Purposes and University
All top universities are located in Ulaanbaatar. There are six internationally recognized universities.
- National University of Mongolia
- Mongolian University of Science and Technology
- Mongolian State University of Agriculture
- Mongolian National University of Medical Sciences
- Mongolian State University of Education
- Mongolian University of Art and Culture